Personal Attributes Are Qualities That Make You Who You Are
Personal attributes are those qualities that make you who you are. Some of these attributes are innate and others may be something you’ve learned or gained from experience.
What is important about them is this:
If you can say what yours are, you create a deeper understanding of the person behind the words. The person hearing the description of your personal attributes will develop a much stronger mental image of the sort of person you are. That is important because the key to most interviews is convincing the interviewer that you are the sort of person they are looking for. Knowing what they may ask you is helpful too.
There are lots of qualities that sum up a person, but not everybody can put them into words, so the point of this article is to give you some words and phrases or statements that you can use in the interview.
You may also want to use some of them in your covering letters, to help you answer an application form question or as part of your personal summary in your CV.
Make Sure You Can Back Up Your Claims
A word of warning though: whenever you make statements about your personal attributes, you may be challenged and asked to prove it or demonstrate it in some way or at the very least, to give an example of how you live up to your claim. So make sure you have a story to illustrate each one you use. If you don’t possess that particular personal quality, you will be found it!
Here are some phrases that describe a range of personal attributes:
- I am highly motivated and enthusiastic and have a keen desire to continually update my knowledge and skills
- I am a loyal employee who is hard working, dependable and trustworthy because I understand it is a two way relationship.
- I have the ability to work individually and as part of the larger organization’s team
- I have a strong sense of commitment; I am able to begin a course of action and work through it until it’s finished
- I have a very strong drive and motivation to continually develop my professional skills
- I have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- I have the ability to relate to all types of other people I work with
- I have the ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to meet changing conditions or situations
- I am outgoing, enthusiastic and a determined individual, eager to make progress.
- I am professional, confident, efficient and goal orientated with the proven ability to use my own initiative or work as part of a team.
- I have the ability to learn quickly and my common sense helps me respond to the needs of new situations.
- I see myself as being competent and versatile with good organisational skills.
- I possess honesty and integrity; I have high professional standards and I aim to be fair and truthful in everything I do.
- I am reliable and able to be trusted to do what I have been asked to do, or what I have promised to do.
- I take pride in my personal presentation and take into consideration suitable clothing and company dress codes
- I have common sense and the ability to make decisions based on knowledge and good judgement
- I have a sense of humour and I am able to join with others and enjoy funny situations
- I maintain a balanced attitude to work and home life giving appropriate consideration to things that matter at home and at work
- I am able to deal with pressure and organise my time well, so that work and job demands get proper attention
- I am motivated and positive about the work I do by setting myself goals and working toward them.
Using these personal attributes statements will create a deeper understanding of the person behind the words (you) and the person hearing the description of your personal attributes will be able to picture you doing the job. Get more insight and understanding from the behavioral questions they may ask you.