Are you a hip-hop artist, producer, entrepreneur or fan who wants to make money in the rap industry? Have you ever thought about starting a hip-hop blog? Believe it or not, hip-hop blogs are becoming more and more popular, and there are plenty of opportunities for hip-hop bloggers to make money online. If the idea of getting paid to share your thoughts and opinions about rap is music to your ears, here’s how to get started.
Step 1 – Choose a Domain Name and Web Host
A domain name is the website address that people will use to visit your blog. In general, you will want to choose a domain name that is easy to remember and gives people an idea of what type of content they will find on your site. Examples of things you may want to use as a domain name are:
- Your stage name (if you are an artist)
- Your company name (if you have an entertainment company or independent record label)
- Your blog name
- Catch phrases or descriptive names
Chances are, your first option for a domain name will already be taken, so be prepared with alternates.
Once you find an available domain you like, you will need to register it quickly to prevent someone else from using it. There is a small domain registration fee, but many web hosting services will waive the domain registration fee when you sign up for hosting.
Step 2 – Install WordPress
WordPress is blogging software that has been used to power over 200 million websites. There are a number of reasons WordPress is so popular:
- Affordability – WordPress is 100% free
- Ease of Use – It does not require any computer or programming skills to install or use
- Highly Customizable – There are thousands of free themes and plug-ins available for download
- Supported – WordPress has one of the largest development communities of any open source software, so it’s easy to find free technical support online
WordPress can usually be installed in less than five minutes through your web hosting control panel. Once installed, you can customize your blog by downloading the hip-hop theme of your choice and installing whichever plug-ins you want to use through your blog’s dashboard.
Step 3 – Start Publishing Hip-Hop Related Content
Once you set up your blog, you will be ready to start publishing content. In general, you will want to publish content of interest to hip-hop fans. This could include:
- Hip-hop related news
- Music, videos and images featuring rappers
- Reviews of new rap music
- Information about upcoming hip-hop events
- Links to other hip-hop blogs
If you are a rapper or producer, you should have no problem creating content based on your own music. Similarly, if you are starting your own entertainment company or independent hip-hop record label, you can blog about the artists you’re working with. If you are not in the music business at all, you can spend a couple of hours each day reading other hip-hop blogs and write …